Sunday, November 28, 2010

Advent 1 Sunday: Dark and Sweet

Good Morning, and blessed Advent, friends!

It seems as if it would be more appropriate to write this in the evening, as the sun is setting, or just after. To me, evening is Advent time... it is a time of darkness made less so by the kindling of fire.

I love these words of Gertrud Mueller Nelson, from her exquisite book, To Dance With God:

It is Advent, and along with nature, we are a people waiting. Far out of the south, the winter light comes thin and milky. The days grow shorter and colder and the nights long. Try as we may, we cannot fully dismiss the fundamental feelings that lie deep at our roots, a mixture of feelings dark and sweet. Will the sun, the source of our life, ever return? Has the great light abandoned us?

This song captures, for me, those feelings 'dark and sweet.' A contemporary twist on an ancient hymn, it speaks my longings. Blessings, my friends.

No comments: