Sunday, January 16, 2011

Sermon's Up

I struggled this week to respond to last week's shootings in Tucson.

Believe me, I pretty quickly passed judgment on what had happened and why. But I kept reading and reading all week-- all the coverage and commentary I could get my hands on. I read this on Thursday, a statistical analysis of where one is most likely to be shot in the United States-- very interesting, I highly recommend it. I also read this, a Jewish scholar responding to the phrase "blood libel." I started writing Friday, and finished this morning. This was my response, for better or for worse: a sermon on Isaiah 49:1-7.

1 comment:

Julie said...

I think many people in this country do not realize the power of the words. I have seen the power of words in my family life, professional life, and in society as a whole. Sometime ago God started making me aware of the destructive power my words could have on others and myself. I still have not completed this lesson on watching what I say, but I do try speaking positive things into people’s lives. The problem comes with political discourse after all we are Americans who live in a democrat society and we are entitled to freedom of speech. But, then the scripture tells us to watch our mouths:
Ephesians 4:29 Let no corrupting talk come out of your mouths, but only such as is good for building up, as fits the occasion, that it may give grace to those who hear.
Proverbs 12:18 There is one whose rash words are like sword thrusts, but the tongue of the wise brings healing.