Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Feast of Saint Mary Magdalene

In order to bring my two personas together, I offer here a plethora of links.

Today's post on the Feast of Mary Magdalene over at Magdalene's Musings.

Monologue on Luke 8:1-3

Monologue on the Passion

Rising: An Easter Sermon/ Magdalene Monologue

And, finally, this, from Janet Morley's excellent inclusive resource All Desires Known.




O God hear my cry,
for my loss is more than I can bear;
I am surrounded by darkness,
and I do not know myself.

In the hours before the dawn I will arise,
while it is still dark.
Through the streets of the city, and in the cold garden,
among those who have disappeared,
and at the site of sudden death,
at the place of my abandonment,
and deep in my heart's anger, I will search you out.

In the speechless places of my soul,
and in that which I most fear, I will seek you;
through the strange landscape of my grief
I will return to the darkness
as to my mother's womb.

I shall not fear wounding,
nor shall I be appalled by violent men;
for the grave is naked before God,
the pain of death has no covering.

I sought you early, my beloved,
but you had turned and gone.
I came while it was still dark;
I put my hand to the rock.
I looked for touch, and behold, terror;
for grief, and behold, annihilation.

Horror engulfed me,
and I did not hear your voice;
I was clothed with my tears,
your face was hidden from me.
Then I was compelled by your presence,
and my heart turned within me.

Like the sudden rain upon the grass
and like the sunlight
my God is come to me;
as the footfall of a child who was lost,
as the rhythm of an unremembered song.

Your coming is like freedom to the prisoner,
like the return of those long captive.
You are the movements of the dance I had forgotten,
you are the face of satisfied desire.

My soul is stirred for you, my beloved.
I cannot contain my heart;
for you have seen my longing,
and your eyes are dark with love.
Your love is stronger than death,
your passion more relentless than the grave.
You will but speak the word,
amd I shall be healed;
though your touch is the touch of a stranger,
yet is your voice my home.

John 20:1-18; Song of Songs 5:2-8

5 comments:

God_Guurrlll said...

I did a sermon on Mary Magdelene I would love to share with you. Let me know how I can get it to you, I know it might be difficult being that we are both anonymous bloggers.

Cecilia said...

Not a problem God Guurrlll! Email me at revceciliapastor AT yahoo DOT com. Thanks so much! I look forward to it.

Pax, C.

Cynthia said...

That poem was absolutely beautiful. It was something I needed to read.

LittleMary said...

thank you for that prayer. needed it tonight.

Rachel said...

Love the links and prayer. So grateful as ever.