Monday, November 30, 2009

Advent 1 Monday: Shards of Glass and Hiding Under the Porch

Adam lay ybounden...

Such grand plans. Plans so grand I hadn't mentioned them here because, then I might be held accountable for them. And if there's anything I don't need right now it's more accountability.

My plans: to have an Advent journal here. Perhaps to reflect upon the daily lectionary readings, which I have followed only sporadically since Lent. (Remember Lent?) This morning I was to begin.

... bounden in a bond...

Except, this morning had me running around in Beloved's car because mine was vandalized last evening as it sat outside a church, while I was inside listening to a gorgeous choral concert in which Petra was singing (I was supposed to be singing too, but I have a sinus infection and laryngitis). I had to go to the body shop, and I had to be on the phone with my insurance agent and my claim representative because, while I was listening to this last night, someone decided to fill the backseat of my car with shards of glass.

...four thousand winter, thought he not too long....

I was curiously unmoved by the violation. After the week... a busy week, with lots of driving and lots of emotion... Beloved and I went to my dad's house for Thanksgiving dinner.... Beloved. And I. And my Dad. Just ponder that for a moment.

... and all was for an apple, an apple that he took
as clerkes finden, written in their book ....

... and then, having laryngitis, and struggling not just to write but to deliver the sermon... promising myself an afternoon of rest, of Advent-sabbath while I enjoyed the concert (Lessons and Carols for Advent and Christmas).... I reacted to the site of the green shards all through the back seat of my car with something approaching indifference. Petra was much more shocked than I was. She was on the phone with Beloved... we were arranging a dinner rendezvous, and Beloved got to hear us react to the glass in real time. She suggested Petra hang up and dial 911.

...Ne had the apple taken been, the apple taken been...

Anyway, that's my excuse. Or rather, those are my excuses. I couldn't blog the lectionary readings because my car got broken into. Or, because I had laryngitis. Or because I coughed for an hour before the alarm went off this morning. Or because I helped Beloved at work today.

... ne had never Our Ladye a been heaven e-queen....

Tonight Petra and I had our first home cooked dinner in weeks. Weeks, I tell you. It wasn't much... chicken and some brown rice and vegetables. She asked if we could watch "Up." She had just received it from her brother, a late birthday present. We watched it and I fell in love-- head-over-heels in love-- with Doug the Dog. At one point he says to the crotchety old man Carl (who looks disconcertingly like my Dad.... seriously.... the spitting image...):

"I've been hiding under your porch because I love you."

Which may be the story of this year's Advent. I suspect God can deal with my evasions and meanderings. I suspect God can deal with my inattention and faltering steps, my best-laid-plans and delusions of grandeur. God is tenacious. God is hiding-under-the-porch-because-I-love-you tenacious. Waiting patiently for my attention.

Blessed be the time that apple taken was!
Therefore we moun singen, Deo gracias!

5 comments:

Choralgrrl said...

SQUIRREL!!!

Cecilia said...

Good thing I wasn't sipping my coffee when I read that, or it would have been snorted coffee all over the iBook.

Oh i do miss you!

miekevandersall said...

sorry it sucks so bad! yuck!!!!!! can't wait for you to be better, and this entry is pretty powerful, you know. i love that quote.

Unknown said...

Deo Gracias, indeed.

sharecropper said...

I haven't seen UP, but I love the line, "I've been hiding under your porch because I love you." Thanks