Six Weird Things Meme - I've been tagged by Sharecropper and Catherine+! According to the rules I must:
1. Reveal six weird things about myself on your blog, and
2. Tag six people to do the same.
Wierd things about me... where to begin?
1. I recently came across two pictures of myself taken the same weekend in my sophomore year of college. In one I am wearing a demure, Pilgrim-esque gown and singing a solo (based on a poem by Mother Teresa) with the university chorale at a symphony hall not far from my alma mater. In the other I am wearing a beehive hairdo, grey makeup with black lipstick, a labcoat, safety pins in my ears and an electrical cord around my waist, as I head off to a punk-themed campus party. One girl, one weekend.
2. In my 20's I briefly sold health insurance for a living (no offense intended to anyone).
3. In seminary I loved Hebrew so much I wept, at two o'clock in the morning, when I translated this sentence: The sons of Jacob said to Joseph, We have an old father in the land of Canaan, for they did not know that Joseph was their brother.
4. When I was twelve I read an article in a teen magazine that said that leaving the house without earrings is like leaving the house naked. I took this information fully to heart and, to this day, cannot leave the house without earrings.
5. That said, I have a spiritual relationship with my jewelry. (I know, possible red-flag for idolatry here.) What I mean is that I choose my jewelry every day extremely carefully, for the spiritual message it conveys to the world. I always wear something given to me by my Beloved. I always wear some symbol of faith (and for me these extend beyond crosses-- I count trees as cross-symbols, and also as symbols of the Garden, the tree of knowledge of good and evil... also anything circular can symbolize the eternal nature of God). I almost always wear something I associate with my mother-- either a ring she gave me, or a ring or cameo that belonged to her mother.
6. I still haven't cleaned the mud from the shoes I wore to my mother's graveside service. It's been... a long time. More than a year.
I tag: Junia's Daughter, Cynthia, kj, Milton, Jan, and MoreCows!