Sunday, June 14, 2009

At Table

I waltzed in the kitchen door late Thursday and announced to my children: I'm going to cook dinner. Alert the media!

And I did, and when we were at table, after having said grace, my children said unto me:

Petra: So at church some of the kids and I were talking about, you know, epic face-offs.

Larry: Pirates vs. Ninjas?

Petra: Yeah, stuff like that... Batman vs. Spider Man, Spider Man vs. a velociraptor...

Cecilia: A velociraptor??

Petra: Yeah, and then someone said, What about Jesus vs. a velociraptor?

Larry: Oh! Score!

Petra: And all around the table, everybody was saying, Oh Jesus, of course, Jesus.

Cecilia: Mmm hmmm...

Petra: And I said, the velociraptor!

Larry: OH! PK strikes back!

Cecilia: (laughing)

Petra: I mean, think about it. Jesus didn't resist when people tried to kill him... so he'd just let the velociraptor kill him, and then come back from the dead. But they were all saying, Well he would perform a miracle. And I said, What kind of miracle? He never zapped anyone with his power, right?

Larry: Yeah... unless he, you know, multiplied the velociraptors... so that there were like, 5000 of them. In which case...

Cecilia: (helpless laughing)

12 comments:

Sara said...

I love it, it's nice when life is just..well...normal!

Auntie Knickers said...

What great kids you have!

Anonymous said...

awesome. just awesome.

What about Jesus vs. aliens?

Unknown said...

That is definitely a PK conversation.

Just me said...

I was just talking tonight about Jesus Vs Paul.
I was at a party last night and most people now know about me and my girlfriend - so the icy reception from some rather judgemental Evangelicals should have been expected. One had a heated argument with me about expelling the immoral brother before she knew I was homosexual. So no surprises she would not meet or return my smile nor credit me with a presence.
And now I get to the point - Why is it the judgemental side of the evangelical church has put so much weight on Paul's teachings and rules - no women in leadership - expelling those who are sexually immoral etc. etc. - when thay miss Jesus' example of realising that we are called to love one another as he has loved us - not turn our backs on those we diasgree with - excommunicate those who do not conform.
Paul is amazing - wisdom beyond nearly all - but he lived in a culture and an historical period - was OCD - or at best OTT. Why do so many Christian's use his letter's to specific churches at a specific time to beat others up with?
So in the battle Paul V's Jesus - I hope and pray - as would Paul - that Jesus wins... But in the evangelical church Pauls seems to win out more often than not - or at least his most opressive rules. Please win Jesus in the church as you would against a velociraptor - because it would know it's Lord and maker and would lie down as the lion will with the lamb.

Just me said...

P.s. There is some bizarre and slightly worrying stuff on Jesus and Velociraptor's on a google search - just in terms of images - it seems other's have gone before Petra in that particular line of enquiry - see some of the most bizarre images I have copied to my blog!!??!!??!!??

Sarah S-D said...

sweet!

susankay said...

Kids!! no wonder Jesus REALLY liked them.

ClosetedBaptistLesbian said...

Hey -
Just wanted to say I'm back blogging again, and I'm a little itty bitty bit out now - go check out my latest post, please!

Jane R said...

Great PKs! They've got the wackiness *and* the biblical literacy. :-)

Processing Counselor said...

So, what did you cook?

Cecilia said...

Stir fry of chicken and veggies, brown rice. It was nice!