Friday, February 15, 2008

Valentiny Closetedness

Yesterday was a Day O' Meetings. Met with someone who has been worshiping with us, first thing in the morning. Met with one committee of the local denominational body first thing in the afternoon, and another right after that. I'm not much of a "meetings all day" sort of girl. My brain starts to slip int a gooey, achy state. One woman I know (who was at both those afternoon meetings) is SUCH a meeting all day girl. She was buzzing. She was pumped. Her energy, even after five hours of wrangling about this and that, exhausted me. And off she went to yet ANOTHER meeting. Egad.

I knew I had a Valentine assignation with Beloved. She'd said, "Dress up. Wear lipstick." (I always do... wear lipstick.). But the question was: what to wear to work so that I would be appropriately dressed up for Beloved, but not tip off anyone that I was going on a Date on Valentine's Day? Because, of course, the conceit is that I am single... divorced. And, though no one has asked, Not Seeing Anyone. This is implied. Anyway, I settled on a top that brings out my eyes (on a silver platter, baby), and a skirt, and a blazer... all appropriate for Meeting Day, but also... things Beloved would appreciate.

I met her as she closed her business for the day. We got in my car (I always drive) and went an intermediate distance ... to a restaurant fairly close to my church. I tried to sound casual. "If there's anyone from my church, I'll give you the high sign." She looked at me with a frown playing around her eyes. "I hate it that you're scared about that." Then it was forgotten. We went in (she had made a reservation) and had a wonderful meal, with a great Shiraz. No congregants in sight.

Back at her place we exchanged gifts. We gave one another the same CD: Jolie Holland, "Escondida." We'd heard it in a hotel restaurant the last time we traveled together.

I tucked her in, and went home to my own warm bed.

7 comments:

more cows than people said...

I teared up when I read you gave each other the same c.d.. How beautiful.

Sounds like lovely Valentine's Day.

I'm sorry for the ways that being Closeted may have taken some of the shine off of it.

Love you.

Jen said...

I just found your blog and can't wait to read it...fascinating and sad. I have so many questions I would love to ask you but suspect many are answered in your blog so I'll read first. I'd like to link to you if that is ok?

Barbara B. said...

I'm sorry it had to be closeted... But it sounds like a lovely Valentine's day so I'm happy for you for that.

Cecilia said...

Thanks MoreCows and Barbara... and Jen, yes, of course you can link. Thanks for showing up and introducing me to your blog.

Pax, C.

Doorman-Priest said...

Sounds like a lovely evening. I'm glad you were happy.

Diane M. Roth said...

I'm glad you had a lovely evening, but sad that it had to be secret.

LittleMary said...

so sweet:)