Monday, April 5, 2010

Easter Plus One

I'm going to add my voice to the chorus of blogging pastors saying "I'm so tiiiiiiiirrrrrrrred." 'Cause I am.

Easter was glorious. Our church was full, the choir sang lustily. A brass quintet augmented our usual forces, and gave the morning both festivity and the heft of the sublime. We "flowered the cross" again, it having been so wildly successful last year. That is to say, we have a kind of classic "old rugged cross" in the sanctuary throughout Lent. For Easter we "cage" it with chicken wire, and have buckets of cut flowers at its base. During the prelude all are encouraged to come forward to flower the cross, so that by the time worship begins it looks as if it has simply burst into bloom. It is simple, it is effective, it smells great, it looks lovely, and the congregation loves it!

Here is a great joy for me from this Lent just past. We tried tons of "new stuff" at church. And the congregation loved all of it, and threw themselves into each first-time activity with openness and gusto. How cool is that?

Still. It's the day after Easter. I have to do some scrambling to be ready for Holy Hilarity Sunday this week, and also to take off the two days I've promised myself. But I need some Sabbath, and I need it badly. All work and no play makes Cecilia a cranky girl with back troubles.

That's all for now.

1 comment:

Rock in the Grass (Pete Grassow) said...

May the loving blessing of Jesus enfold you. I find that I get into a post-Easter gloom: tiredness leads to despondency and self-pity.... and so it is important for me to "take off" so that I can recover. This week I take two days to read, ride my motorcycle and sleep.