Thursday, May 8, 2008

Continuity/ Discontinuity

In some ways it's hard to imagine how my family came to have me, how I came from them. They are a bunch of George W. Bush-loving, gun-owning Republicans (well, at least, my brother is. My dad does like Dubya, though). They are not terribly religious, any of them, though my dad believes in spirits. He encounters my mother on a regular basis. But when I think of things like: race relations, the war, the economy, elections, my religious beliefs, my social and cultural preferences... I could not be any different from my family than I am. We are foils of one another.

I was talking with a colleague about the continuity and discontinuity of who I am now with who my family raised me to be. As I have said, we couldn't be more different. And yet, I have two little memories of my mother, memories I don't think I've shared here. These are memories that put the whole "discontinuity" thing in question.

When I was 13 I came home from my religious education class with a whole folder full of anti-abortion materials. These included photographs of dismembered fetuses, pamphlets, and one bumper sticker... I forget what it said, maybe "Abortion Stops a Beating Heart," or something like that. Anyway, I had no reason to believe my parents didn't agree with the people who were providing me with my religious education. I pulled out the bumper sticker, and announced, "I'm going to put this on the car." My parents looked at one another, and then back at me. "No," my mother said in a voice that was familiar to me, the voice that indicated that no amount of discussion, cajoling, reasoning or whining would move her.

Still, I couldn't resist trying just a little. "Why?" I pleaded. "Don't you think it's wrong?"

She looked at me. After a moment she said, "We don't know what other people go through."

And that was that.

Around the same time I became aware of a pair of women who lived in our neighborhood, together, in a townhouse. They would walk together in the evenings. One of them used a cane. As I think about them now, I remember one was slightly heavier than the other; they both had very short hair. One always wore a hat, the kind worn by men who sail boats. They smiled kindly at me when we passed on the street.

One evening they walked by as my mother and I sat out on the front porch of our house. They smiled and nodded, and my mother and I smiled and nodded. After then had gone down the street somewhat, I looked at my mother and she looked at me. We had never spoken a word about lesbians. My mother had a disconcerting way of reading my mind. Before I had a chance to open my mouth she said, "They're not hurting anyone. And it's nobody's business."

So.

10 comments:

Choralgrrl said...

Cecilia, your mom sounds a lot like mine. Would that the all of us could show that kind of empathy toward the "other."

:-)

LittleMary said...

to image you on the porch with your mom...it is beautiful. i remember when i brought home "sex ed" materials from school. the pill killed potential fetuses. my mom helped me study. oh, how she corrected me on matters such as these. thanks be to god.

Ruth Hull Chatlien said...

"We don't know what other people go through."

I like that.

These are very precious memories of your mother.

Jan said...

I really liked hearing about your mother. Thank you.

jadedjabber said...

Cecilia,

Your mother sounds like a woman who sees people, not issues. It is an amazing thing.

Fran said...

I really like what this says- we never can know the heart of another.

If we are to live out our faith in any meaningful way we must cooperate with God I think, not act as His/Her military police.

FWIW, I am the lone liberal progressive democrat in a family of very conservative republicans. I will attend my great-nephew's First Communion tomorrow and I will not take the bait that will be tossed and retossed.

I am not sure how I came out so different!

Diane M. Roth said...

I like what you say about your mom. empathy.

Heidi said...

I like your Mom.

Years before Eddy came out to me my Mom noticed a rainbow magnet on my 'fridge that says, "hate free zone." Her comment was, "What's that about?" Like should I have a "hate zone" magnet instead?
Seven moves later, the magnet is still on my 'fridge. :)

Jeanine Byers said...

OMG. I am about to cry, just from reading your mother's comments!!

How very moving!

Thank you so much for sharing it.

And BTW, thanks for visiting my blog!! I did have a wonderful time at my retreat training weekend.

Jeanine

Doorman-Priest said...

I like the sound of your mother.