Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Psalms Modern: Go and Read

I can't remember whether I have linked before to "Psalms Modern," the Presbyterian Welcome Devotional Blog. This weeks passage is especially riveting, reflecting on this piece of scripture from last Sunday:

Two men remained in the camp, one named Eldad and the other named Medad, and the spirit rested on them…and so they prophesied in the camp. And a young man ran and told Moses, “Eldad and Medad are prophesying in the camp.” And Joshua son of Nun, assistant to Moses, one of his chosen men, said “My lord Moses, stop them!” But Moses said to him, “Are you jealous for my sake? Would that all God’s people were prophets, and that God would put God’s spirit on them!”--Numbers 11:26-29

Elizabeth McCord, M. Div., offers a reflection which includes the following:

...I can’t help but feel we betray our Heart when we respond to prophecy with disciplinary charges rather than open-minded conversation. Jealous and embittered is a church that attempts to squelch the unrelenting, insuppressible voice of the Spirit. Rigid and non-reforming is a church that masks its torn and bleeding wounds with orderly judicial papers mimicking the world of U.S. governance rather than the New Creation of Christ. And, hypocritical and lost is a church that gives lip service to ministry for marginalized people without claiming its own role as the marginalizor, or that fails to support the Spirit-filled ministers (ordained or lay) who would otherwise lead us to embrace the profuseness of God’s grace. I am saddened and wearied by this denomination.

Go and read. It is good for the soul. And join me in prayer:

How long, O Lord? How long? Amen.

Silly me! Thanks to Little Mary's prompting, I have linked to Psalms Modern above, and here.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow. I came across your blog on Technorati.

Thanks for sharing this.

I think her comments are a very accurate reflection of truth.

-Brad
www.SimplyOneLife.org

Ruth Hull Chatlien said...

Sounds good. Thanks for the reference.

Julie said...

Very insightful, I guess the question is how long will men rather than the Spirit lead the church (Acts 26:4)? How long will the people be suppressed by a system designed by men when God wants us all to be free (Isa. 42:7)?

LittleMary said...

and where darling can we find this blog that you speak of?

Fran said...

So true- those words really moved me.

How long indeed.

God have mercy on us all.

Barbara B. said...

Yes I wonder also 'How long?'...