Sunday, May 25, 2008

Tagged: Fabulous Five Meme

What were you doing five years ago?

1. Trying to get over some serious heartbreak.
2. Taking note of Beloved, though not yet ready to really think about... you know... that particular leap.
3. Working at a medium sized church with a wonderful gifted colleague.
4. Trying my hand at some artistic pursuits for the first time in many, many years.
5. Breathing.

What are five things on your to-do list for today (not in any particular order)?

1. The bulletin for Sunday.
2. Beginning sermon preparation.
3. A long walk (that was first thing this morning, with Beloved).
4. Trying to listen hard for stuff that's going on with her... some difficult times with a dear friend, lots of loss.
5. Taking tiny little steps.

What are five snacks you enjoy?

1. Cashews.
2. Peanut butter on toast.
3. Ojai Pixie tangerines... juicy, amazing, nothing like them.
4. A really good apple (in season, of course).
5. Granola, yogurt and berries... Mmmmm. I'd like some now, please.

What five things would you do if you were a billionaire?

1. Endow a scholarship (or 100) at my seminary (a financially struggling institution).
2. Establish really decent shelters with job start-up assistance in every small city in my state.
3. Send $100,000 to every food pantry in my state.
4. Establish and endow the liberal equivalent of the Evil Partisan Denominational Rag, which is responsible for much of the tumult in my denomination, and which is therefore suitable only for lining birdcages and training miscreant puppies.
5. Establish an international legal practice dedicated to assisting people who need asylum in this country because of their gender, race, sexual orientation, gender expression, etc.

What are five of your bad habits?

1. Eating in response to stress.
2. Web surfing as opposed to weightier reading (on which I'm always behind).
3. Procrastination.
4. Budget-busting.
5. Responding to the tapes in my head instead of the person in front of me.

What are five places where you have lived?

1. At the ocean.
2. In the city.
3. In the burbs.
4. In the mountains.
5. In the closet.

What are five jobs you've had?

1. Boardwalk Waffle-and-Ice-Cream Maker and Dispenser
2. Florist's Assistant
3. Housekeeper to Priests
4. Tennis Court Attendant
5. Insurance Saleswoman

If you can read this, you are officially tagged.

Update: Choralgirl, thanks for the tips on spacing... which I actually didn't understand how to do (I don't have a spacing option that shows up here), but which led me to look again and to "remove all formatting." Which is just fine by me!

"Slave" was perhaps a bit overwrought, and a symptom of well-remembered adolescent self-pity. The job description has been adjusted accordingly!

Except... I think I might have been keying in on a class thing that was going on at the courts. I definitely wasn't of the class of the people who were paying me three dollars an hour to play. Still, poor and inappropriate word choice.

5 comments:

Jan said...

Thanks for doing this. Heartbreaking in spots, esp. about living in the closet. I like reading other people's bad habits, because usually they're mine, too. I was impressed with all your healthy foods to eat!

Choralgrrl said...

LOL about the denominational rag and its proper usage, and wondering... what the heck is a "tennis court slave?"

Choralgrrl said...

Oh, BTW--the spacing: I've found that "preview" view isn't terribly accurate. If I eliminate all spacing, go back and restore the line breaks I want, and ignore "preview," I can pretty much get it right.

Though it's a bit like using the "reveal codes" command in WordPerfect, circa 1985. Sigh.

Rachel said...

This was just far too much fun, and I am so grateful for the pause to think about all things fabulous.

Thanks and great play - very inspiring!

Kate said...

"reveal codes'. I have had a flashback. Now I know why I learned HTML so easily!

Also, considering myself tagged.