Sunday, January 18, 2009

Personality Types in Love

Below are descriptions for extroverts and introverts, as found at the Myers & Briggs Foundation website.

Guess which one I am? And which one Beloved is?

Extraversion (E)
I like getting my energy from active involvement in events and having a lot of different activities. I’m excited when I’m around people and I like to energize other people. I like moving into action and making things happen. I generally feel at home in the world. I often understand a problem better when I can talk out loud about it and hear what others have to say.

The following statements generally apply to me:

  • I am seen as “outgoing” or as a “people person.”
  • I feel comfortable in groups and like working in them.
  • I have a wide range of friends and know lots of people.
  • I sometimes jump too quickly into an activity and don’t allow enough time to think it over.
  • Before I start a project, I sometimes forget to stop and get clear on what I want to do and why.

Introversion (I)
I like getting my energy from dealing with the ideas, pictures, memories, and reactions that are inside my head, in my inner world. I often prefer doing things alone or with one or two people I feel comfortable with. I take time to reflect so that I have a clear idea of what I’ll be doing when I decide to act. Ideas are almost solid things for me. Sometimes I like the idea of something better than the real thing.

The following statements generally apply to me:

  • I am seen as “reflective” or “reserved.”
  • I feel comfortable being alone and like things I can do on my own.
  • I prefer to know just a few people well.
  • I sometimes spend too much time reflecting and don’t move into action quickly enough.
  • I sometimes forget to check with the outside world to see if my ideas really fit the experience.

Adapted from Looking at Type: The Fundamentals by Charles R. Martin (CAPT 1997)

5 comments:

Unknown said...

As an E who always loves people who dwell on the remote (to me) island of I (including all three children and both husbands, I kid you not), my heart goes out to you.

Wormwood's Doxy said...

ENFP here, head over heels in love with an ISFJ. They do say that opposites attract... ;-)

Cheers,
Doxy

Choralgrrl said...

Same dichotomy lives at our house. Our bane and our blessing, simultaneously.

:-)

LittleMary said...

loving you through it darling.

MeetLove said...

Very interesting post! I am an introvert and I've always thought that this will affect my love life...